This meal turns a favorite comfort food into a nutrition-packed meal. Perfect for days you just need a warm, soothing supper.
Makes 6 servings.
1/4 cup (60 ml) red or white wine or vegetable broth
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups (750 ml) mushrooms, sliced
1 green zucchini, sliced in half length-wise and then sliced (optional) or 2 cups cubed butternut squash
1 green or yellow pepper, chopped
2 cups (500 ml) tomatoes, diced (any type)
1 (28 ounce/800 g) jar organic, sugar-free tomato sauce
1 cup (250 ml) fresh basil (or 2 Tbsp (30 ml) dried
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh oregano (2 tsp (10 ml) dried)
2 cups (500 ml) leafy greens (e.g. spinach, kale, collards), chopped OR broccolini (or broccoli florets), chopped and lightly steamed
Fresh ground black pepper, and salt, if neede
24 ounces (685 g) buckwheat, bean (e.g. black bean, red bean, edamame, etc.), quinoa or other whole grain or legume past
1 package firm tofu, cut into cubes and sautéed with tamari, turmeric, nutritional yeast and Italian seasoning.
- In a large pot, sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic (if using fresh) and mushrooms in wine or broth, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- Add peppers, zucchini (or squash), tomatoes and sauté for another 10 minutes.
- Add pasta sauce, basil, oregano, pepper and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat water for pasta. Add salt to water if desired. When boiling, add pasta.
- Add greens or broccolini to pasta sauce and simmer while pasta is cooking.
- Drain pasta and serve with sauce, tofu cubes and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
1. Add 1.5 cups (375 ml) cooked red lentils to the sauce and omit tofu.
2. Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced olives.